Relative Solutions Ltd has 3 founding Directors (Martin Holden, Wendy Wakefield and Nicola Wakefield) whose in-depth knowledge and skills of the specialist topic areas, in their chosen fields, provide the main Company resource.
Their recognition and understanding that clients require simple straightforward explanations and answers provides Relative-Solutions Ltd.’s “down to earth” approach to
delivering affordable practical solutions to problems.
- B.Sc.(Hons) Degree in Civil Engineering - Loughborough University
- M.Sc (with Distinction) in IT Management in Construction - Salford University
- ACCA Certified Diploma in Accounting and Finance
- ICE Civil Engineering Law and Contract Procedure exam ( advanced level -
parts 1 and 3)
- Chartered Engineer
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers
- Member of Institution of Structural Engineers
- Member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of Institution of Water and Environmental Management
- Prior to joining HSE - 17 years experience as a Civil Engineer working in the field of Public Health
Engineering for Local Authorities and a Water Authority based both in design offices and on-site with
experience in contract management and claims setlement , site investigation, free/compressed air tunnelling and thrustboring, pipelines, large diameter gravity sewers and RC structures.
- 1989 - joined HSE as H.M. Specialist Inspector ( Construction Engineering) working in the field
- 1992 -Promoted to H.M. Principal Specialist Inspector - for next 10 years led the Construction
Specialist team in Field Operations Division - Manchester carrying out
technical forensic investigations of accidents and incidents in the North West of England & acting as Expert Witness in court
- 2002 - Moved to HSE’s Technology Division having the
national remit for Work at Height technical Issues (+ assisted with CDM Designer Issues including carrying out audits of design offices)
- HSE representative on
- Standing Committee On Structural Safety (SCOSS),
- Technical Committee of FASET,
- H & S Committee of IRATA
- Directed internal and external research into Work at Height technical Issues
- Member of the HSE internal sub group responsible for drafting the work at Height Regulations 2005
- Member of the HSE team which prepared and delivered the Work at Height training to HSE inspectors.
- Past Chairman and currently a co-opted advisor of ACR
- Instigator and Past Chairman of ACWAHT
- 2006 retired from HSE
Links to Martin Holden on the web
Back to Top
- B.Sc.(Hons) in Pure and Applied Mathematics - Edinburgh University
- 1968-72 Analytical Hydrologist at Mersey and Weaver River Authority
- 1972 - Left work to raise family
- 1980 - Return to work part-time as accounts clerk with small family businesses ultimately joining a small
family run soft drinks distributor.
- Undertook course of further education at night school to develop skills in bookkeeping and accounting.
- Remained with same firm as it grew becoming the Accounts and Office Manager responsible for daily
operation of over 800 accounts using SAGE
- 20 years experience of use of SAGE software & tailoring it to meet the needs of a small business
- 2006 made redundant under rationalisation of office locations following take-over by new owners
Back to Top
Note: Nicola Wakefield
is currently a non executive director, being bound by other contractual commitments. These effectively preclude her undertaking any direct work for the Company.
It is hoped that this may change at some time (as yet unknown) in the future.
Until such time, it is unlikely that Relative-Solutions Ltd will accept any commissions to undertake work related to her specialist topics of interest.
- B.A (Hons) in History - Aberystwyth University
- M.Sc Library studies - Leeds University
- Chartered Librarian
- Member Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
- Prior to 2001 worked for 2 years in commercial legal information field at Eversheds and DLA in Leeds
- 2001 - moved to work in Academic Libraries at Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)
- 2002 - promoted to Law Librarian MMU
- Past Chair of Manchester Legal Information Group
- 2005 - Vice Chair of British and Irish Association of Law Librarians ( BIALL) web editorial board
- 2005 - won the Society of College, National and University Libraries (SCONUL)
Award for staff development
- 2005 - contributed a chapter on the use of virtual learning environments to the second edition of “Teaching Legal Research” by Peter Clinch.
- 2006 Law Librarian University of Salford
- Extensive experience of developing online learning packages to teach legal research skills to undergraduate
and postgraduate students using a variety of virtual learning packages,
Links to Nicola Wakefield on the web
Back to Top